The Hurricane Forum
The Hurricane Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 Other Cool Software
 Multi-Ren (Multiple File Renamer)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Attach a File

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BK Posted - March 29 2003 : 1:52:05 PM
If you find yourself renaming files all the time, or have "inserted" a drawing into an otherwise sequential set of files and need to resequence the filenames, this is a VERY handy utility to have.

-Installs as a shell-extension (Right click on multiple files in Windows Explorer).
-Rename files with many wildcard increment options.

Download Attachment: multiren.zip
253.05 KB

Bill
http://www.74mph.com
Hurricane for AutoCAD
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Miksteele Posted - January 16 2007 : 08:57:27 AM
Hurricane's renamer works great! I use it all the time!
Admin Posted - January 16 2007 : 12:30:52 AM
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd mention that Hurricane has built-in file renamer, complete with renumbering, for a while now, I just haven't been pushing this feature too much. Not sure if anyone noticed!?

http://www.74mph.com/faq/FAQ00157.html

It is fully functional now, even in demo mode.
http://www.74mph.com/revisionlog.html

Regards,
Bill
Miksteele Posted - January 28 2005 : 08:42:55 AM
Thanks Bill!

I appreciate your insight on this sort of stuff!
Admin Posted - January 27 2005 : 10:08:16 AM
Here is the link for those of you interested in it... but I am not going to recommending it, because I won't install it, and because I won't install it, I can't try it out... (see below for reasons)

http://www.softsystechnologies.com/ren.htm

It is a whopper though, at 10.3MB!!! (But the download page claims 25MB!)

After taking a lookie inside the ZIP, they are distributing mdac_typ.exe (which is over 8MB).

I won't be attempting to install this one, for the following reasons.

1) Filesize is massive, even with MDAC_TYPE.EXE excluded, the executable is massive for a fairly simple program. What else could be going on inside there?

2) If it's got MDAC inside, then there is some more major stuff going on.

3) Why a "file renamer" requires Microsoft Data Access Components installed is beyond me..

4) Because this is FREE software, and because it is so massive, I can't help but be skeptical of what it is doing. Remember YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, and sometimes you get A WHOLE LOT MORE.

5) Yes I know, my above points are all basically the same; I just like numbers.

I am pretty anal about what gets on my PC.

Regards,
Bill
Usha Posted - January 27 2005 : 08:11:04 AM
Bill ,Steve,

I came across your attempts to rename files, myself had tough time with lot of files accumulated and was fear struck to locate files among the numerous files.Then i tried REN, a file renamer mmmmm good looking GUI.. Infact comfortable with features too..Looked attractive with good many features for Free...

Usha
n/a Posted - January 21 2004 : 5:36:40 PM
Thanks, Bill. I thought it might be that paths were missing. I'll have to do some rethinking.
Admin Posted - January 21 2004 : 5:06:12 PM
Hi Steve,

Actually, your filenames need to contain path as well as the filename, so as they are in your example, Hurricane ignores them.
(You can't just have xyz.dwg in the Queue... you need C:/your dir/xyz.dwg)

http://www.74mph.com/faq/FAQ00120.html <- info on Drag/Droping txt files.

Here is an example of a text file... http://www.74mph.com/faq/filelist-example.txt

Hope this helps!
Bill

(PS - Funny you should ask about this... I was just about to write a Tip/Trick on |piping| filenames to a "List File" using the command line in Windows!)

n/a Posted - January 21 2004 : 4:41:15 PM
Bill, regarding your previous post:
http://www.74mph.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53
Posted - December 16 2003 : 11:04:27 PM

The following quote:
ALSO, if you have a list of files (in a text file), you can just drag the text file into the file queue, the contents of the txt file will be parsed, and any lines that "look" like filenames will be added to the queue.

I am currently sorting my directory listing using Ultra Edit, which allows for prioritized sorting first upon the xth character position number (in the file name), then upon the yth character position number. It works great except for the anomally that I spoke to you about earlier.

I can't seem to get the text file drag method to work in Hurricane, however, once I have my file names sorted using Ultra Edit. I have attached the file that I am trying to drag. Is there something wrong with the file, or the way it is named, or am I doing something else incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Download Attachment: list2.TXT
675 Bytes
n/a Posted - December 29 2003 : 4:06:34 PM
Thanks, Bill !! I completely understand that if my utilization is too isolated, you would not want to add it to your program. I appreciate all that you have done already !!
Admin Posted - December 29 2003 : 4:02:44 PM
Hi Steve,

The message was probably lost due to switching servers... It was initiated Friday to be done by Sunday (the weekend was the slowest time, I was hoping nothing would be effected). Sorry.
I'll take a look at that a little more closely, it might be something everyone else might need.

If not, I'll take a look at creating a stand-alone utility that allows for different sorting options. (That you can apply to File Lists) I don't want to add something to Hurricane that is specific to one user or one business style, I hope you understand!

Regards,
Bill

n/a Posted - December 29 2003 : 10:20:44 AM
I attempted to post a file similar to this last week. I don't see it, so I must have done something wrong. I'll try again, even though I see we now have a finished Smart Sort feature. Maybe it will still be possible to work something in which will complete what I need. If not, I think the smart sort feature that currently exists will still be a big help to me. If what I need to do is too specialized to warrant further work, would you consider, Bill, a feature which would allow selecting and moving several files in the que simultaneously, similar to to what Hurricane is currently able to do with a single file (CTRL+up/down arrow keys)? That would be an additional help.

Lines 1 to 80 (before the rows of semicolons) on the attached file are the output of Smart Sort. Lines 83 to 162 (after the rows of semicolons) are what I am hoping to achieve. Note that the last line (M36.dxf) is kind of an anomally. I can deal with that separately without a problem. The difference, however, is that if the 2nd character of the file name (path excluded) is a digit rather than an alpha character, the number portion of the file name is not a sheet number as in the typical situation where the 2nd character of the file name is an alpha character.

Whereever the 2nd character is an alpha character, the numeric portion is a sheet number. I need to sort first by that sheet number, then within each sheet number by the alpha characters which precede them. (The anomally needs only to be sorted by the alpha characters and I usually place them after the other sheets. These, however, as I said previously, I can deal with separately.)

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP !!

Download Attachment:

SmartSort.txt
2.08 KB
Miksteele Posted - December 26 2003 : 1:04:59 PM
Thanks Bill!

I can clearly see the 1-31 example...that's exactly it! It's hard to see what's happening below those. As for the DXF files at the top...are they sorting to the top based on the fact that there is no path, ('a' & 'b' sort before c:) ? My first thought would be to exclude the path for the Intellisort, and maybe it is ...not sure.

Now...what's actually happening Is the 'magic' character simply padding? Is it padding at the begining of the filename? Or...?

You are definately on the right track! I agree with Steve...leave Hurricane's current sorting intacted. Those sorting options have other uses.

Thanks again
n/a Posted - December 26 2003 : 10:36:21 AM
Thank you, Bill !! After sorting using Intelligent Sort, the upper listings down to 31.dwg, I think it was, was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't follow completely what was happening below that point. It looked as though upper vs. lower case was involved in the sort, or that the sort was ignoring everything but numbers or something? At any rate, I did not see that type of sort as anything that I would use regularly, though it may be helpful for others. THE TOP PORTION OF THE SORT, HOWEVER, AS I SAID, WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED !! THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

I don't think I would make it the typical sort method, however. You must have many users out there who are accustomed to sorting by your previous sort method. In your test app, it was extremely easy to choose between "typical sort" and "intelligent sort" using the appropriate dialog box button. I liked it as is.

The test app worked so well, that I see potential to take it even further. How about an option to "Preview", "Save" or "SaveAS" the files after sorting to allow for renaming the files with leading "0"'s or other delimiters? This might be taking the app in a direction that is a little "adrift" of the main app (Hurricane), so it may not be warranted, however. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WORK WITH THE SORTING ASPEC!! THAT IS THE AREA WHERE I HAD THE MOST NEED.
Admin Posted - December 25 2003 : 12:14:18 AM
Hello!

Here is a Christmas present for the both of you...! (I know that you might not get this for a week or so... but I couldn't help myself...)

My test run application for "Smart-Sort".

Run this and I hope you like what you see... (Before I go making internal changes to Hurricane's code, I like to make a sample app...)

I've selected the "!" character as the "magic" character... (it is the LOWEST on the character map, so it is better than using "0" or "_" as the place filler. (No biggie)... but you can change the magic character inside the app, to see how it effects the "Intelligent" sorting alg. (Don't leave it blank, or put in more than 1 character... there isn't any error checking...)

If this is to your liking, then I can put it into the main code. Maybe call it "Smart Sort" or "Intelli-Sort" or something equally silly. Any other ideas? or should this be the DEFAULT sorting method, and rename the "Typical" sort...??

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Bill

Download Attachment: sort-test.zip
12.08 KB
Miksteele Posted - December 17 2003 : 2:03:59 PM
Steve,

It looks like you use windows "file search" often.

Try this...

Put your ??1*.* or ??2*.* in the DRAWING FILE SELECTOR FILTER...then hit the + button next to the ADD ALL button ...ALL QUEUED UP !!!

Your windows file searching days could be over...
n/a Posted - December 17 2003 : 09:38:52 AM
THANK YOU !!! Between your post and Miksteele's I think I can get much closer to what I was looking for, if not all the way. (I haven't thoroughly checked out the info provided in either post yet.) I'm sorry I missed the drag n drop functionality somehow or other. I'll check it out. THANKS, AGAIN !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi Steve,

I've promised previously to look into adding this "Smart Sort" feature, but I haven't implemented it yet. It is on the list.

Consider it to be the next "adjustment" I make.

As for drag-and-drop... Please take note that the files dragged in, will be filtered by the "File Selector Filter", i.e., if you want to drag .dxf files into the queue, then you need to change the filter to *.* or *.dxf. (This might be why you didn't think it worked)???

ALSO, you can drag FOLDERS into the queue area, and the same rule with the filter will be followed.

ALSO, you can drag FOLDERS into the upper half of the file selector to reposition the fileselector into the folder you just dragged. This way, if you ever hunt for a folder using explorer, then all you have to do is drag it into the Hurricane file selector to have Hurricane point to the same directory. Saves me a ton of time every day! (If you use the Windows "Search" function and find the file you are looking for, you can right-click the file and then click "Open Containing folder", then just drag the little folder icon in your Windows explorer bar (you might have to make that toolbar visible), into the Hurricane file selector, and presto, Hurricane will display the directory of your searched-for file!

ALSO, if you have a list of files (in a text file), you can just drag the text file into the file queue, the contents of the txt file will be parsed, and any lines that "look" like filenames will be added to the queue.

This is useful if you use some other software to generate file lists.
(Actually, on that note, for the time being, you can always sort your files just by using the CTRL+up/down arrow keys (one file at a time), or you can adjust the file-order in a text file (or excel), then just drag the text file into the queue)

It's pretty hard to demonstrate these features, or describe them in words. I will have to put more effort into outlining all these "hidden" things in the FAQ, with better pictures. Maybe some video...

I really love the feedback... anytime you have something to say, go for it... I don't take it as dissatisfaction at all! Actually, it's what keeps things moving along!

Thanks for your comments!

Bill

n/a Posted - December 17 2003 : 09:35:20 AM
THANK YOU !!! Between your post and Bill's, I think I can get much closer to what I was looking for, if not all the way. (I haven't thoroughly checked out the info provided in either post yet.) THANKS, AGAIN !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Miksteele

I feel your sorting pains!!!... I have to watch how tricky I get with filenames. Before I know it, I have confused clients, (but they sort so well)

As for your "adding 0's as place holders" approach...Great Idea! This topic link below was dubbed "Smart Sort", very similar situation.
http://www.74mph.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73

As for a renamer...I've found that MultiRen is basically a file "numberer"...maybe I don't know how to use it though.

I have found a pretty nifty file renaming program It's called MAGIC FILE RENAMER

Personally, I like the feel of the newer versions, (30 free trial), but the FREE version,(v3.00 Release 2), still does it all! I was amazed at how powerful this program is. It's like scripting!...but it's called "preset" renaming. Once your different presets are set up, it's just a few clicks. You may want to check out this site...http://mfr.queryweb.com/index.html

Ohh...BTW...MAGIC FILE RENAMER is "drag and drop" compatable. But so is Hurricane. I use Hurricane's "drag and drop" all the time. Try this link out...http://www.74mph.com/faq/FAQ00118.html

Admin Posted - December 16 2003 : 11:04:27 PM
Hi Steve,

I've promised previously to look into adding this "Smart Sort" feature, but I haven't implemented it yet. It is on the list.

Consider it to be the next "adjustment" I make.

As for drag-and-drop... Please take note that the files dragged in, will be filtered by the "File Selector Filter", i.e., if you want to drag .dxf files into the queue, then you need to change the filter to *.* or *.dxf. (This might be why you didn't think it worked)???

ALSO, you can drag FOLDERS into the queue area, and the same rule with the filter will be followed.

ALSO, you can drag FOLDERS into the upper half of the file selector to reposition the fileselector into the folder you just dragged. This way, if you ever hunt for a folder using explorer, then all you have to do is drag it into the Hurricane file selector to have Hurricane point to the same directory. Saves me a ton of time every day! (If you use the Windows "Search" function and find the file you are looking for, you can right-click the file and then click "Open Containing folder", then just drag the little folder icon in your Windows explorer bar (you might have to make that toolbar visible), into the Hurricane file selector, and presto, Hurricane will display the directory of your searched-for file!

This is useful if you use some other software to generate file lists.
(Actually, on that note, for the time being, you can always sort your files just by using the CTRL+up/down arrow keys (one file at a time), or you can adjust the file-order in a text file (or excel), then just drag the text file into the queue)

It's pretty hard to demonstrate these features, or describe them in words. I will have to put more effort into outlining all these "hidden" things in the FAQ, with better pictures. Maybe some video...

I really love the feedback... anytime you have something to say, go for it... I don't take it as dissatisfaction at all! Actually, it's what keeps things moving along!

Thanks for your comments!

Bill
Miksteele Posted - December 16 2003 : 10:46:07 PM
I feel your sorting pains!!!... I have to watch how tricky I get with filenames. Before I know it, I have confused clients, (but they sort so well)

As for your "adding 0's as place holders" approach...Great Idea! This topic link below was dubbed "Smart Sort", very similar situation.
http://www.74mph.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73

As for a renamer...I've found that MultiRen is basically a file "numberer"...maybe I don't know how to use it though.

I have found a pretty nifty file renaming program It's called MAGIC FILE RENAMER

Personally, I like the feel of the newer versions, (30 free trial), but the FREE version,(v3.00 Release 2), still does it all! I was amazed at how powerful this program is. It's like scripting!...but it's called "preset" renaming. Once your different presets are set up, it's just a few clicks. You may want to check out this site...http://mfr.queryweb.com/index.html

Ohh...BTW...MAGIC FILE RENAMER is "drag and drop" compatable. But so is Hurricane. I use Hurricane's "drag and drop" all the time. Try this link out...http://www.74mph.com/faq/FAQ00118.html

n/a Posted - December 16 2003 : 5:55:19 PM
Bill,
I was hoping the file you posted would solve an ongoing sorting problem which seems to occur for me due to files named by other persons or other software. The file you posted does not appear to solve my problem, but let me ask, anyway. Perhaps you know of something which will work for me.

I often end up with file names such as aa10.dxf, aa4.dxf, aa100.dxf, ba4.dxf, etc. I would prefer to be able to simply sort these files in Hurricane so that they process in the order of aa4.dxf, ba4,dxf, aa10.dxf, aa100.dxf. It does not appear to be an option in Hurricane.

In the past, I have used file search to search for ??1*.*, ??2*.*, etc., dragging the results (after each individual search) from filefinder into the batch programs I had evaluated previously to purchasing Hurricane. I purchased Hurricane because it FAR exceeds the other programs in ease of use and number of batches available, etc. I do miss the ability to drag files, however, in order to process them in the correct order. Is there an option that I am missing that will sort files in such a manner, or is there an option to drag files into Hurricane? Lacking either of those options, are you aware of any other software which would allow me to rename the files by batch method so as to add "0"'s as place holders? I would prefer to sort the files rather than rename them because there are times when renamed files are not acceptable, but in most cases I could use a renamed file, if that is the only option.

I LOVE THE HURRICANE PROGRAM !!!! PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER MY QUESTION AS AN INDICATION OF ANY SORT OF DISSATISFACTION WITH HURRICANE. IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST-HAVE MIRACLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE !!!!!

The Hurricane Forum © 2009 - 2021 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000